Harmful Foods and Substances For Pets

Harmful Foods and Substances For Pets

Every once in a while, we all enjoy giving our pets a treat, but it is necessary to be conscious of what we feed them. While your pet undoubtedly enjoys the occasional snack, their natural curiosity may cause them to consume something harmful. To prevent this, it’s crucial to educate yourself on what substances your pet should avoid. 


Please be aware that this is not a complete list of toxic substances. If you are unsure whether something is dangerous for your pet, do some research or consult your veterinarian before you give it to them. Similarly, if you are curious about toxic plants for your pet, check out our article here!


Edible Items/Food:

  • Avocado
  • Chocolate 
  • Grapes & Raisins 
  • Garlic
  • Any product that contains caffeine 
  • Chives
  • Onion & onion products
  • Xylitol (commonly found in sugars, gums, and peanut butter)
  • Fruit pits (Cherry, peach, apple, etc) 
  • Products that contain alcohol 
  • Macadamia, walnut, pistachios, RAW cashew, hickory, pecan, almond, and brazil nuts
  • Any moldy food products 
  • Raw dough and yeast products 
  • Coconut


Inedible Items/Household items:

  • Paints and solvents
  • Antifreeze
  • Insecticides and pesticides
  • Human drugs/medications unless recommended by a vet 
  • Household cleaners and detergents
  • Cocoa mulch
  • Rat poison 
  • Salts (especially rock and sidewalk salt)
  • Fertilizers and various lawn products 
  • Nail products 
  • Battery acid
  • Tobacco products 
  • Products used for melting ice



Accidents happen, so don’t panic if you suspect your pet has eaten something toxic. Common symptoms that your pet has consumed a harmful substance include vomiting, excessive drooling, diarrhea, dry heaving, internal bleeding (indicated by bleeding gums, vomiting blood, and racing heart), and extreme lethargy or fatigue. Once you notice these symptoms, immediately make sure your pet is breathing normally, and try to determine the source of the poisoning as quickly as possible. Any information you can determine about the toxin will be helpful to your vet. Then, contact your veterinarian as soon as possible. Do not wait to contact the vet if you notice these symptoms. While you wait for treatment, do not try to induce vomiting, and do not try any at-home remedies without the green light from your vet. Quick and proper treatment should have your pet back on its feet in no time!